For the current years dates visit the Important Dates calendar.
Additional information about Internet, Mail Service, etc. can be found in the Handbook.
Term 1 (September - December)
Classes usually begin on the first Wednesday after Labour Day and the first day to move into residence is the Sunday immediately before Labour Day.
Term 2 (January- April)
Classes typically begin two days after New Years Day. Students can move into residence the day before classes begin. Check in begins at 9:00am.
Before you arrive
2-3 weeks before
- Update your emergency contact information with UVic Emergency Alerts - this is so the University can contact you and provide information if there is a campus-wide emergency. You can receive emergency messages on your phone if you register your mobile phone number when you sign into UVIc with your Netlink ID and password. Visit www.uvic.ca/services/emergency/home/procedures/alerts for instructions.
Term 1 (September - December)
Early arrivals will only be permitted for students registered in a University related program or event which begins prior to the August 31st Move-In date. Additional fees will apply.
Before an early arrival will be considered, students must have:
- a Winter Session room assignment and
- paid the Term 1 fees (due August 1).
Early arrival requests for September 2014 will be accepted or approved in August 2014.
The deadline for applications to arrive early is August 22, 2014.
The rate for early arrival is $26.00 per night including taxes. Food is not included.
We will try to accommodate students in the room they have been assigned for September; however, if it is not possible, another room will be used until the August 31st Move-In date.
To apply for an early arrival, call 250-721-8657 or contact us.
Term 2 (January-April )
Due to the University closure each year, we are unable to accommodate early housing arrivals in January. Please be sure to book flights accordingly or arrange alternate off campus accommodation if you are arriving in Victoria before the Move-In date.
If you plan to arrive outside of normal office hours or after August 31, 2014 (First Term or Winter Session Contracts) or after January 3, 2015 (Second Term Contracts) you must email Residence Services prior to these dates or your room may be cancelled and reassigned to another student. Accommodation not occupied within 10 days of your Move-In date will be cancelled and reassigned without further notice.
Day of Arrival
Depending on the residence you are moving into you will be sent a parking pass for either parking Lot #1 off Ring Road or Lot #5 off Sinclair Road (see parking map.)
Leave your bags in the car and come to the Residence Office to get your keys and meal card. You will be given directions as to the best location for you to unload your items.
Photo Identification is required to pick up your keys.
Please address any moving related questions to our Residence Life and Education Office.
After you have checked into your room you may have a few days before classes start to adjust to your new surroundings. In addition to getting acquainted with the area, getting your books, etc. you will also need to
End of Term 1 (December)
All students are required to vacate their room the day after their last exam in December.
End of Term 2 (April)
All students are required to vacate their room the day after their last exam in April.
When you are ready to leave residence you will want to:
- Empty your mail box. There will be a check-out package inside with cleaning instructions, a change of address form, and a pre-printed key envelope.
- Empty your storage and bike locker.
- Cancel your phone and cable services.
- Ensure your residence account is paid in full with the residence office. (Residence charges are not reflected on your "My Page" account.)
- Return the completed change of address form from your check-out package. (Please note that any changes made to your ”My Page” are not linked to your Residence Services account.)
- Clean your bedroom, turn off the heat and lock your door.
- Clean any common areas.
- Apartment units: all 4 students are responsible for cleaning the living room, bathrooms and kitchen including appliances.
- Keys must be returned to the Residence Office using the pre-printed envelope provided.
- Students who do not return keys will be charged a lock change fee.
- Keys need to be in clean condition without stickers, marks, or other decoration.
You can recycle or donate many items, including cardboard, glass/plastic/tin, old furniture, electronics and even clothing! New recycling areas, clothing drop boxes and overflow bins will make it easier than ever to recycle and “free-cycle” before you leave campus. Click here to see a map of locations (pdf).
Refer to the Check-out Procedures check-list for further details.
For information on storage visit the Winter Session Handbook.
In extenuating circumstances we may be able to accommodate students past the designated move out date however students must receive prior written permission from the Residence Services office and pay any additional fees.
Withdrawal / Cancellation Policy
Click here to see the terms outlined in the Single Student Agreement.
Withdrawal Form (PDF) Please use Internet Explorer.
Charges and Refunds
*Residence charges do not show in your "My Page" account
When a student departs from residence any outstanding charges (i.e. lock changes) may be transferred to their University of Victoria account. Students that have their residence account balance transferred to the University will not be able to register for future classes, receive transcripts and/or may have the account go to collection.
Refunds will be processed and mailed to students within 90 days of departure.